Saturday, August 15, 2009

Wii and the Edimax 7206-APg

Tonight I upgraded the Edimax 7206-APg from the somewhat unstable 1.22 firmware, to the newer 1.31. I am surprised they are still developing for this particular model - 1.26 firmware was available for a long long time before 1.31 came out this year.

Anyway, I tried setting "Authentication Type" to shared key, instead of open system... not that it should make a different in a WPA2 environment, but I had a theory that a laptop I have might stop dropping out and then saying "insecure" if I changed it.

On shared key however, the Wii refused to connect (51030). So I tried the auto setting. No good either. Back to open system - now it works.

While thinking about the Wii + wireless, another annoying thing about the Wii is that it requires a B+G wireless environment. Pure G does not work. It has to be both B and G. Frustrating.

My observations are that the Wii starts on 802.11b and then negotiates its' way up the speeds until 11mbit is going, at which point it negotiates its' way onto 802.11g and faster again through all the speeds. Quite bizarre. Why not start at 55mbit and work its' way down if it has to?...

1 comment:

  1. Update:

    The Edimax 7206-APg on 1.31 firmware seems to be improved over the 1.22 firmware.

    1) the WiiConnect24 service works properly now, with news and weather downloaded overnight

    2) Less drop-outs from the laptops... I think... more testing required.

    ReplyDelete